Gallery and Shop Manager
The Gallery and Shop Manager oversees the Art Base’s gallery and retail shop operations. Works with exhibiting artists to implement their vision and best use of gallery space to showcase dynamic exhibitions that sell artwork and offer unique opportunities for artists and the community. Manages all aspects of The Shop, a museum style retail space with artist created inventory. Coordinates marketing and PR with the Art Base’s contracted communications firm.
The Art Base is a non-profit art center in Basalt, CO, which fosters creative expression in the visual arts for all ages and abilities, through education, exhibitions, and providing opportunities to artists and artisans. The Art Base serves the Roaring Fork Valley, specifically the mid-valley and Basalt community, which includes several adjacent unincorporated areas in both Eagle and Pitkin counties, Garfield County, and the Roaring Fork School District. We take pride in providing educational opportunities and artmaking experiences, as well as in serving as a platform for artists to exhibit their work. The Gallery and Shop Manager position will implement all aspects of the Art Base’s gallery and retail shop in keeping with the organization’s strategic objectives and mission. This position supports the Art Base’s ability to showcase dynamic exhibitions that sell artwork and offer unique and enticing opportunities for artists and art enthusiasts. This individual will work with exhibiting artists to implement their vision in our gallery space. Additionally, this Gallery and Shop Manager pursues opportunities to grow the reach and reputation of the Art Base as a locally and regionally-admired exhibition space, as well as oversee a robust retail program for the Art Base’s Shop. Successful candidates will be both results-driven and creative, as this role requires both programmatic and promotional support.
REQUIRED JOB FUNCTIONS:
Gallery and Exhibitions Management:
– Serves as co-managing member of the Exhibitions Committee alongside the Installations and Facilities Manager to coordinate the organization’s full exhibition program in both the Alpenglow Gallery and the North Gallery space.
– Serves as organization’s main point of contact for all exhibiting artists, galleries, and prospective buyers of artwork.
– Works with Installations and Facilities Manager and Bookkeeper to ensure timely payout of any exhibition bills, shipping invoices, or other gallery-related billing items
– Writes and/or edits all artist materials including price sheets, show statements, and wall vinyls (in conjunction with Installations and Facilities Manager).
– Co-organizes the Claudette Carter Art Mentors (CCAM) program with the Program Director, including liaising with mentors, mentees, and parents/guardians.
– Assists organization and provides logistical support as hands-on-deck during workshops, gallery openings, Art Base Council and donor events (including annual gala), and artist talks.
– Tracks gallery program spending and budgets.
– Oversees all facets of shop administration and ensure compliance with the Art Base’s financial policies.
– Maintains visual merchandising standards in concert with the gallery spaces, including assisting with shop cleaning, organizing, and upkeep.
– Works with artists to produce limited edition items for the shop.
– Implements commission payouts for participating artists in the shop and galleries.
– Hires, manages, and schedules shop staff.
– Researches and proposes innovative products for the shop.
– Manages all retail inventory and catalog in shop POS system, as well as on the organization’s website for online purchases.
– Orders and tracks shipment of inventory.
– Reports on buying trends, customer needs, profits, and/or other timely and relevant topics.
– Tracks Shop spending and budgets.
Communications and Marketing Support:
– Works with the Installations and Facilities Manager to capture high-quality photographs of exhibitions, artwork, and shop items for promotion and marketing efforts.
– Copywrites for gallery brochures and/or exhibition materials.
– Updates website regularly with timely program information.
– Writes content and coordinates with contracted PR/Marketing firm to promote products and exhibitions via e-mail blast newsletters, social media, and direct mail/posters.
PREFERRED SKILLS/FUNCTIONS ALSO INCLUDE:
– A background in retail management, specifically in the arts or a creative field.
– Excellent customer service and communication skills.
– Experience with Shopify or similar POS platform.
– Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign.
– WordPress experience, social media as assigned.