Direct Support Professionals
Horizons is hiring Direct Support Professional to support individuals with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities to live rewarding lives. Full-time and part-time positions available. Health, dental, vision, life insurance and PTO for full-time. Sick time for Part-time. Hiring bonus! $20.00/hour $21.00/hour with CNA.
- Have knowledge of personal care techniques and a thorough knowledge of developmental disabilities.
- Have the ability to independently plan and organize time, and follow established procedures.
- Have good verbal and written skills.
- Have the ability to relate professionally with all staff.
- Be flexible, reliable, punctual, assertive and neat-appearing.
High school diploma or G.E.D.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds.
- Will have or obtain, as soon as possible after hiring, a Colorado driver’s license.
- Will have or obtain, as soon as possible after hiring, CPR/first aid certification.
- Must be present at training as provided by the agency.
Direct supervision of individual receiving services, implement programs, administer medications, attend medical appointments, attend Day Program, document a variety of daily routines and personal needs, facilitate integration of individual receiving services into the community, and assist with facility upkeep and maintenance needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise daily routines and activities of individual receiving services.
- Supervise individual receiving services’ hygiene and grooming needs.
- Dress, and encourage individuals to dress, in a manner that inspires support from the community.
- Ensure individuals receiving services receive necessary medical attention.
- Accurately dispense medications.
- Document Medical Contact Notes.
- Fill current prescriptions.
- Complete medications count.
- Complete P.R.N. records, as needed.
- Render attention to individual receiving services in minor accidents or illnesses, and transport as necessary for individual treatment.
- Schedule and attend medical appointments.
- Immediately notify the Nurse of any medication changes.
- Maintain Medication Book.
- Perform tasks as trained and delegated by the nurse, including measuring vitals (including blood pressure readings), insulin injections, etc.
- Meet nutrition needs of individuals receiving services.
- Prepare and serve well‑balanced nutritional meals of adequate proportions utilizing individual receiving services assistance.
- Supervise kitchen and dining area cleanup with individuals receiving services.
- Assist Supervisor with menu planning and adhere to the prepared menu.
- Acknowledge and follow any specialized diet care plans
- Maintain menus on file for six months.
- Maintain required documentation
- Document ISP notes weekly and finish all documentation by the end of the calendar month
- Complete behavior tracking in accordance with BISSP
- Review and update health and safety plans quarterly as needed, at least annually
- Maintain personal belongings inventory
- Ensure events of an emergency nature or concern are documented and submitted by the next working day
- Report possible mistreatment, abuse, neglect, or exploitation (M.A.N.E.) issues immediately
- Complete and document emergency drills or content review in accordance with program procedures.
- Attend Day Program
- Notify Supervisor of unusual individual receiving services’ behavior and/or reactions or medical needs. Follow Behavior Management Programs as written.
- Follow recommendations made by the staffing team.
- Follow all protocols and procedures as written and document review via signature or electronic acknowledgement on Therap.
- Obtain individual receiving services personal needs and purchases, and maintain money ledger complete with receipts. Attend to banking needs. Complete accurate record-keeping of House Checkbook, including receipts.
- Ensure all events of an emergency nature are documented on an Incident Report.
- Assist with family visits, participation and requests. Refer family questions or problems to Supervisor
- Provide opportunities for growth and experience with respect for personal choice of individuals receiving services.
- Provide services in accordance with individual’s annual service plan (IP).
- Prepare for Annual Individual Service Plan Meetings.
- Assist with evaluation of individual receiving services’ skills using agency evaluation tools.
- Assist with development of Individual Plans (I.P.’s), which must be complete within 30 days of staffing date.
- Ensure annual physical and lab work are scheduled and completed.
- Complete personal belongings inventory.
- Be an active member of the Interdisciplinary Team.
- Help with physical maintenance and transportation
- Notify Supervisor of maintenance needs.
- Assist with assuring that all necessary yard work (mowing, snow removal, watering) is completed or contact Supervisor.
- Assist with implementing and documenting monthly fire drill/s.
- Maintain vehicle/s in safe and clean manner. Purchase vehicle supplies (i.e., gasoline and oil).
- Assist with transportation of individuals receiving services, as scheduled.
- Inform Human Resources of driver’s license infractions.
- Supply personal vehicle insurance data to agency.
- Provide transportation to and from the work site utilizing proper safety procedures.
- Ensure the job is completed as scheduled.
- Maintain positive communication with the work site employer.
- Notify the Vocational Specialist if more supplies are needed.
- Provide 1:1 work skills training, if indicated.
- Complete daily time sheets and employer receipts.
- Provide a proper role model for work crew individuals.
- Follow individual training programs as necessary.
- Use systematic instructions to train work requirements.
- Ensure work crew safety.
- Accurately record time worked at least weekly into payroll system.
- Submit expense report by deadline to Supervisor.
- Attend staff meetings, scheduled in-services and any other scheduled meetings.
- Familiarize self with Job Description and Horizons’ Policies and Procedures.
- Work cooperatively with coworkers and supervisors.
- Present a positive image of Horizons.
- Submit all monthly reports by deadline to Supervisor.
- Maintain supply of needed forms at facility.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position is supervised by the Adult and/or Residential Community Coordinator.